About This Guide
This guide provides information resources and search tips for the social welfare policy analysis class. It covers the following area:
- Find Journal Articles: introduces databases for finding articles published in journals and books.
- Find Books: You can find the library catalog and search tips here. Library catalog allows you to find books at the library.
- Find Editorials & Opinions: Lists databases that cover articles published in newspapers, magazines and trade journals. You can search specifically for editorials or opinions using those databases.
- Find Legislative/Government Info: Provides information resources from the state and federal government. You can gain access to the U.S. and Texas legislation information sources from this section.
- Find Think Tank Reports: Provides access to websites of think tanks, and to databases containing reports published by think tanks.
- Statistical Resource: Lists library databases and web resources that provide stats and poll data.
- Online Journals: Lists selected journals related to social welfare policy research.
- Web Resources for Policy Research: Provides access to websites that supply information for domestic and international policy research.
- APA Style Guide: Lists sources that help to answer many of your questions regarding how to cite in APA style.
- Avoid Plagiarism: This site shows you tips on how to incorporate information and knowledge you have learned from readings into your own writing ethically.
An Example of Policy Research
Take a look at this article. The first part of it provides a good example of policy analysis:
Lagana-Riordan, C. C., & Aguilar, J. P. (2009). What's missing from No Child Left Behind? A policy analysis from a social work perspective. Children & Schools, 31(3), 135-145